Monday, March 29, 2010

1st Outreach Program Class

This posting is a little late, but I had my first interaction with the children from the outreach program class on this past Wednesday. The class ages were from 1 to 5 years of age. The name of the class is Stepping Stones or "Esculeta" which means school in Spanish. It was a real fun week to meet the children and there families because it was their Easter party. I plan to take Rosetta Stone over the summer and after this day I realized that it's a necessity. There were about 60 kids there and they were all Spanish speaking. One of the fun little projects that myself and another volunteer did with the children was to make them an Easter basket. Just completing this minute task seemed to be a struggle. The children seemed to take direction very well and the parents not so well. It goes to show that children's growing brains suck up everything like a sponge. Whether it's physically repeating something that is demonstrated to them or hearing something repeatedly said to them their brains retain so much and so quickly. I love helping out with this population because my son is half Spanish and my wife speaks to him in Spanish so the more I spend with these Spanish children I can learn more words to talk to my son. So I guess in the long run these kids help me just as much as I help them.

No comments:

Post a Comment