Monday, February 22, 2010
Descent Day @ PRC
Today I spent more time talking to families that were wanting to sign their children up for new spring classes. It was a little hectic, because today was the first day of the semester. It was an overall fulfilling experience except for this one family that came in to sign up for the community outreach program. In my mind everyone could come in and sign up, but I quickly learned that's not the case. If you're considered low income you can do the community outreach program, but their confined to only one class. The fee is $5 per class for the semester. The normal going rate if your not low income is $220 per class. That is a huge difference, and a great opportunity for parents. If a parent wants their child to take more than one class they need to have whats called a scholarship. I didn't know that their were only a certain amount that are given out. The parent was so happy we could get her children into classes and there is no way they could afford these classes without assistance. I really felt like shit to have to let them know that we had no more scholarships to give for the classes she wanted. They came in at the time the class started and the child was just standing outside the classroom watching all the other kids sing and dance "it was a music class". He was so upset because he couldn't join in. I was kind of pissed off, in my eyes I don't see what the problem is with having a few extra kids. I'm aware and prepared to do this again to another family in need, but I think it's a bunch of bullshit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am back from India and will start to read your blog entries beginning next week. Remember, you should have one entry for every two hours of service.
ReplyDeletePersonal note: you are doing well so far...Keep it up!